8.7.06

Election Terrorism

Also in the news recently was the Massive Win in the War on Terror (/sarcasm) that basically involved people discussing in an internet chatroom how easy it would be to bomb the NY/NJ PATH Train and was embellished to make them into a Large and Fearsome Al Qaida Cell. A coincidence that this happened in the lead up to an important mid-term election where the GOP strategists have decided they need to stress "national security" to win? I doubt it.

Branedy has a brilliant post on the subject.
-------
Branedy's follow up comment to the post:

One could conclude that:
1) that they did not need this if that already knew that it was a known (chat) meeting point.
2) that there had only been talk about that ‘attack’, which believe it or not is not illegal.
3) that the coincidence of this is a bit too convenient just before an election cycle.
4) that if they caught one of the the terrorist and he just so happens to be involved with al-Qaeda

Too many bits of good news.


-------

3 comments:

Cartledge said...

It is unsettling that the 'rule by fear' phenomonon can continue so long without any real public challenge.

misneach said...

Seriously, I think that George Orwell's 1984 should become required reading for high school students, along with a fantastic book by James Lowen called "Lies my teacher told me" about high school history. It truly boggles the mind that in this day and age of being able to Google any subject on the planet and get 1,000,000,000 results that people could still be so easily misled and blinded. I honestly think that people feel a subconscious need to remain ignorant of reality, it's the only explanation I can think of as to why people could be so easily led or misled.

Cartledge said...

Yes, it was quite normal to read those books in my youth, and even revisit.
But critical analysis has never been a general part of the culture.
And I think your hyperlink is correct.
The way I hear it from the young about me is that any form of analysis and evidence comes under the title of 'uncool'.
I wonder where they are learning that?